Follow the instructions below to install the latest version of Android on your aging but still capable Nexus 5, plus get Google Assistant.
Download Required Files
- Download: Google Apps - http://opengapps.org/ (Micro)
- Download Nougat image: http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/orig-development/wip-aosp-nougat-nexus-5-t3446875 (Choose the latest AOSP rom)
- Download TWRP: https://dl.twrp.me/hammerhead/
Root & Install Bootloader
Install adb on computer - http://lifehacker.com/the-easiest-way-to-install-androids-adb-and-fastboot-to-1586992378
Root device: http://howtoroots.com/how-to-root-nexus-5/
Install TWRP with adb
- On your device, go into Settings -> About and find the Build Number and tap on it 7 times to enable developer settings. Press back and go into Developer Options and enable USB debugging. From your computer, open a command prompt and type:
adb reboot bootloader
- You should now be in fastboot mode.
- Download the correct image file and copy the file into the same folder as your adb and fastboot binaries. Rename the image to twrp.img and type:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Note many devices will replace your custom recovery automatically during first boot. To prevent this, hold VOLUME DOWN + POWER to enter recovery. After typingfastboot reboot, hold the key combo and boot to TWRP. Once TWRP is booted, TWRP will patch the stock ROM to prevent the stock ROM from replacing TWRP. If you don't follow this step, you will have to repeat the install.
- See other install methods here: https://twrp.me/devices/lgnexus5.html
In TWRP: Install Nougat
- Install: aosp_hammerhead-7.1-nougat-20161124.zip (no reboot)
- Install gapps (no reboot)
- Wipe Cache & Dalvik
- Reboot System
Fix Google Play Store authentication required
This might occur, if so follow the instructions below.
- Go into Settings -> Apps -> Google Play Store
- Tap Storage
- Clear Cache and Data
- Try Google Play Store again
Add Google Assistant Support
- Root it again: http://howtoroots.com/how-to-root-nexus-5/
- Follow instructions here: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-get-google-assistant-on-any-phone-running-androi-1787706402
- Clear Google App storage and cache
- Tap and Hold home button